Research and Guidance
The SD Foundation helps to develop leading-edge thinking about sustainability in the built environment and to promote joined-up solutions in areas where barriers are preventing change from happening.
Key activities include:
- Contributing to a UK vision for low-carbon & sustainable developments
- Lobbying and other campaigns to remove barriers to sustainable design and procurement
- Research to understand specific aspects of sustainability, such as the links between buildings and sustainable communities or whole life costing for sustainability.
Sustainable Procurement guidance
The SD Foundation has produced several guidance modules on how to build sustainability into the key stages of PPP procurement, including :
The SD Foundation has also prepared detailed guidance on:
- Social Responsibility for Building Clients.
- Sustainable Schools - how to make school head teachers into sustainability leaders for new building procurement
- Whole life costing for sustainability - particularly the capital and whole life costs of sustainable approaches in PFI and PPP projects.
- Making Existing Healthcare Buildings Sustainable - both case studies and detailed guidance on steps towards making existing buildings more sustainable
- Responsible Retrofit of Traditional Buildings - detailing a risk-based holistic approach to the refurbishment of traditional buildings
- Sequestered Carbon in Buildings - the role of building materials in storing carbon dioxide
The SD Foundation is currently undertaking research into:
- Moisture risk assessment and guidance - exploring new ways to assess the risks of moisture managaement in new and existing buildings
- RE-Fab Deconstruction and Re-use of Buildings and Components - development of ideas and methodologies to create re-deployable buildings
- Building Performance Network - helping to bring together experts and practitioners in the field of Building Performance Evaluation
The latest News from SDF
SD Foundation moves offices
Tue, 07 Jan 2014 12:34:35 +0000
The latest news and events from the Good Homes Alliance
New GHA Manifesto to be launched at Ecobuild 2017
Fri, 03 Mar 2017 11:59:23 +0000
The latest News from Passivhaus Trust
Passivhaus at 2017 Ecobuild
Thu, 23rd Mar 2017
The latest News from the Alliance for Sustainable Building Products
Understanding public perceptions and experiences of low carbon materials
Mon, 31st Oct 2016